This is a picture of the same Echinacea I showed in the post on slugs a week ago. But this time the leaves have been chewed off, some horizontally. Now what could have done that sort of damage?
Well, fortunately, in this case, I was there to watch the “critter” with my own eyes. So I have no one to blame but myself.
My little dog, Dixie Grace, likes to wander around the backyard in search of “salad” as an after dinner treat. Usually she chooses the wild asters. Since we have plenty of those, and I know they are not poisonous and that they haven’t upset her digestive system in the past, I’ll let her have a few nibbles and then we go in.
A week or so ago she mistook this plant for an aster. (What can I tell you–the dog is not a gardener!)
The moral of the story here is to please, always supervise your pets in the garden, know what plants they are consuming, and whether or not those plants are poisonous! In this case, again, this native plant is an herb so I knew she’d be fine.
But that’s not always true. Plenty of “people” things aren’t good for our pets. So again–please supervise. And if you have dogs, never use cocoa mulch either, which is very attractive to them and can be toxic!